Mens 1st Grade report V Vikings

19 Aug 2020

Within the first five minutes of the game both sides were going tit for tat gaining possession in each other’s halves. However the first grade boys capitalised on some lazy Vikings discipline in the first seven minutes of the game, which saw Owls fly half Jordan Thompson notch over a quick penalty to make the score 3-0. However not too long after that the Vikings earned themselves a penalty from straight in front after a build up of phases in the eleventh minute of the game, which saw Vikings inside centre Isaac Henry lock up the scores to 3-3. However it only took a matter of five minutes for the Vikings to answer back. An Owls penalty led the boys in red and white to a line out on the Owls five metre line. Straight off the set piece the Vikings crossed over in the corner, however emotions and passion was at an all time high as scuffle broke out straight after. Nothing but a couple of handbags and shoves, however the crowd knew that this was no ordinary game.

Vikings continued to dominate the possession and despite the conditions they saw an opportunity to spin the ball out wide. In the twenty second minute of the game the Vikings answered with another try from fifty metres out. The slick set of hands and support runners saw them cross down over the chalk, taking the scores to 13-3. As the competition has seen the game was far from over. With five minutes to go left in the half the owls boys put their dominant forward pack to work. A buildup of scrums five metres out from the Vikings try line saw Owls youngster Sam Mickleson ground the ball over the chalk bringing the scores to 13-10. The Owls camp was absolutely loving the try and the carry on that followed straight after with mongrel man Stuart Sellar and winger Josh Reis letting the Vikings forwards that the game was far from over. Not long after as the half time siren sounded the Vikings again conceded another penalty, which was a great opportunity for the Owls boys to level the scores up at half time. With Sam Rolfe giving the nod the tee was brought on and saw the groundsman from Rocky Jordan Thompson level the scores at half time 13-13.

Straight away in the second half the Vikings boys were absolutely ready to play and they didn’t mess around one bit. Within five minutes of the second half the Vikings boys scored under the posts through consistent pressure. Vikings inside centre Isaac Henry was very quick to dot over the extra two, which saw Tuggers take the lead 20-13. Only ten minutes later the Owls discipline was lacking with the referee playing on with a number of advantages, however it didn’t take long for the ref to blow his whistle right in front of the Owls posts. Vikings capitalised on the easy points and went for the three, which saw the scores increase to 23-13. Nonetheless we were in for one hell of a game, the boys were ready to have another crack and play that full eighty minutes. The Owls reply only took them ten minutes, with Rusty’s piggies grinding a number of phases to get within ten metres of the Vikings try line. Lachie Creighton saw the space out wide which saw a number of attempts from Owls favourite Callum Richardson and Lachie Osbourne have a dig, but the Vikings defence was too strong, but instead it was Owls gym king Brad Pumpa who used his size and strength to cross the white line. With an unsuccessful conversion the scores were tightened to 23-18.

With ten minutes to go the Owls boys got a penalty, which saw them kick the ball downfield and go for the line out. The first grade lads were certainly not here for a picnic they wanted to go for it and why not. A strong maul of the end of the line out saw Sam Thomas cross over the line against his old club. The roar from the Owls crowd was deafening and with a successful conversion saw the Owls boys take the lead at 25-23. It didn’t take long for all fans to realise that we had a seriously exciting game on our hands. Full credit to Vikings they never gave up, with five minutes to go they were throwing the ball around like no tomorrow, despite the wet and cold conditions they kept using their backs and it begun to pay off. With two minutes left in the game the referee blew his whistle signalling a penalty in favour of the Vikings. With about a minute to go clutchman Isaac Henry kicked what would be the winning penalty of the game.

While the result was not in our favour the boys really gave it their all. They played a full 80 minutes and made the little club we call Uni-Norths Owls incredibly proud. With an upcoming bye week the lads will be able to get plenty of time to rest, but will soon take on Wests.

Full time

Owls 25 – Vikings 26

COVID Competition Draws are here